sabato 20 febbraio 2010

Sd.Kfz.167 StuG IV LATE (1/72 scale)

I finally had some free moments to write about my third model. This time, as the title suggests, I decided to model a famous German assault gun. Assault guns for those who may not be very acquainted with the subject are identical to classic tanks except for the fact that they don't have a mobile turret, instead their cannon is fixed to the armoured chassis. To aim the cannon the entire tank had to move and point in the general direction of the target. This wasn't very practical, but gave the assault guns a lower silhouette which was harder to spot/target by the enemy and lowered industrial production costs. Assault guns were first used as elite mobile artillery support, but later were found to be excellent in the tank hunter role.
I built Dragons beautiful 1/72 StuG IV late model which in my opinion is the best plastic kit on the market today of the subject. The kit has an incredible amount of detail and has several clever solutions that help building and painting.
The painting was done in the same fashion and style I used for the T-34. This is the procedure: acrylic base coat, enamel dry-brushing, first oil paint wash, ename dry-brushing, second oil paint wash, two last enamel dry brushing layers, chipped paint and oil stains. The colors used were: German dark yellow (acryl and enamel) lightened with tan for the dry brushing process, raw umber/burnt sienna/black oil paints for the general washes, stains and rust effects.
The final appearance shows the heavy dry brushing which by todays standards is unrealistic and I agree. However I managed to apply painting techniques I was always eager to learn when much younger. This little model was a great satisfaction for me back in 2006 when I finished it. Thank you for reading and if you feel like it leave me your comments.







Nessun commento:

Posta un commento